Beginning April 28, 2020, Local Lit @ LOTTA will offer three writing workshops, each one seven weeks in duration.
What You’ll Do in LLL Writing Workshops
Whether you write fiction, creative nonfiction, or memoir, you need to know how to create characters, settings, and plots that resonate with readers. You’ll hone those skills at LLL, plus you’ll discover how to give substantive, helpful critique in both written and verbal format. During the workshop series, you will write and revise a short story or chapter of a book. Each week, we’ll focus on a different element of storytelling through prose. The series culminates with the opportunity for each writer to read their new work aloud in class and discuss it with the other participants. By the end of the seven weeks, you’ll have a piece that’s closer to finished, whether you started with a new idea or a work-in-progress. There will be homework each week.
Apply to LLL if you:
- Want to develop and enhance your prose writing skills or get unstuck on a work-in-progress,
- Want to learn how to give and receive feedback effectively,
- Can submit two to three finished first drafts of short fiction, creative nonfiction, or memoir,
- Can commit to attending one 3-hour workshop every Tuesday night for seven weeks (see schedule below), and
- Will commit to completing the homework each week (estimated time: 2-3 hours/week).
Do Not apply to LLL if you:
- Want to improve your poetry writing (we focus on prose!),
- Are not serious about writing for publication (traditional or indie), though you need not have been published yet,
- Cannot commit to attending the classes or doing the homework, or
- Don’t want to hear constructive criticism of your work.
Local Lit @ LOTTA was formed in 2018 by author & educator Rebekah L. Fraser as a bi-monthly live reading and talk-back event to give Greater New Haven area authors the chance to get feedback on works-in-progress and published works from an audience of the general public. With encouragement from colleagues and peers, Fraser decided to expand Local Lit @ LOTTA into a program that includes the bi-monthly events plus writing workshops for aspiring writers of fiction, nonfiction and memoir.
All Connecticut writers of all skill levels are welcome to apply. (While this workshop is designed for writers who have produced some work; with enough interest, LLL will offer a beginner workshop.)
Class Size: Minimum 6 people, Maximum 11 people
$400 per 7-week session. We’re pleased to offer one full scholarship per session.
Apply by March 15, 2020
Send the following submission materials to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 15, 2020.
- Two to three short stories or book chapters (600-3,000 words each)
- A 25-50-word bio plus a 100-250-word explanation of what you hope to achieve in the workshop. Please indicate if you consider yourself a beginning writer.
- A professional resume or CV. (Include publications if you have them, but don’t worry if you don’t.)
- In the body of your email, please rate your preferred session: 1st to 3rd choice or unavailable:
- April 28 – June 9 | June 30 – August 11 | September 1 – October 13